The London and St. Thomas Association of REALTORS® (LSTAR) is thrilled to host the 2017 Don Smith Commercial Building Awards on April 23, 2018 at the London Convention Centre. The biannual reception and awards ceremony recognizes the top commercial, industrial, multi-family and community buildings across the LSTAR region. The program was named after the late Don Smith, legendary co-founder of EllisDon, a world-renowned construction company with deep roots in London, Ontario.
"The awards were established in 2009 to inspire the architectural and construction community to honour commercial building excellence across the region," said John Geha, LSTAR. "This is a tremendous opportunity to recognize the outstanding talent, innovation and design by the developer, construction and architectural businesses who create these amazing buildings across the region," he added.
What: 2017 Don Smith Commercial Building Awards
When: Monday, April 23, 2018 between 5:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m.
Where: London Convention Centre, 300 York Street, London, Ontario
Categories include Commercial (retail and office), Industrial, Multi-family and Institutional (community). A judging panel evaluates the projects, with the following criteria:
- Building, development or renovation located within LSTAR's jurisdiction
- Design and innovation
- Addresses a specific developmental need within the community
- Sensitive to the environment
- Completed between August 1, 2015 and July 31, 2017
The 2017 nominees are:
- WEST 5
- St. John Catholic Elementary French Immersion
- Goodlife Home Office
- Sobeys Plaza Oxford and Wonderland
- FIMS and Nursing Building, Western University
- Masonville Place Renovations
- Canada 150 Pavilion at Harris Park
- Villas of Wortley
- LSR (London Street Railway) Power Plant
- The Cube – Talbot Street
- London City Centre Re-Vitalization Project
- Elemex Architectural Façade Systems
- Design and Construction of Mixed-Use Building Renovation
- Canadian Centre for Product Validation (CCPV), Fanshawe College
- Sodecia Global Technology and Innovation Centre
- London Free Press/Post Media
- MEC London
- South London Community Centre
- No. 11 Fire Station
- Violence Against Women, Services Elgin County, Residential and Counseling Facility
The program will feature a new award, the Legacy Award, which recognizes any building that is unique and/or significant to the London and St. Thomas jurisdiction.
The Legacy Award nominees are:
- London Life
- CASO Station, St. Thomas
- University College, Western Tower
- St. Peter's Basilica
- Middlesex County Court House
- Elgin County Court House
Individual tickets are available for purchase at $40.00 per person. A cocktail reception is scheduled to start at 5:00 p.m., with the awards program beginning at 6:00 p.m. Those interested in attending are encouraged to visit Eventbrite and register for the Commercial Building Awards.
The Don Smith Commercial Building Awards are made possible through LSTAR’s sponsorship partners, who include Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC), CBRE Limited, CIBC, Colliers International, County of Elgin, Dancor Construction, EllisDon Corporation, Fanshawe College, Lennar Corporation, Lexus of London, Libro Credit Union, MMSI, Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC), Ontario Real Estate Association (OREA), Pillar to Post, RBC Royal Bank, Royal LePage Triland Realty, Supra, TD Canada Trust, Teranet and Tricar Group.
Click here to see the original Media Advisory of LSTAR.