LSTAR Celebrates Excellence in Commercial Real Estate with the Don Smith Commercial Building Awards
The London and St. Thomas Association of REALTORS® (LSTAR) is thrilled to announce the recipients of the 2019 Don Smith Commercial Building Awards. Recipients were honoured on March 4, 2020 at the Best Western Plus Lamplighter Inn and Conference Centre in London, Ontario.
The biannual reception and awards ceremony recognizes the top commercial, industrial, multi-family and community buildings across the LSTAR region. The program was named after the late Don Smith, legendary co-founder of EllisDon, a world-renowned construction company with deep roots in London, Ontario.
The awards were established in 2009 to inspire the architectural and construction community to honour commercial building excellence across the region. Categories include Commercial (retail and office), Industrial, Multi-family and Institutional (community).
A judging panel evaluates the projects, with the following criteria:
- Building, development or renovation located within LSTAR’s jurisdiction
- Design and innovation
- Addresses a specific developmental need within the community
- Sensitive to the environment
- Completed between August 1, 2017 and July 31, 2019
The 2019 winners are:
- Institutional Education – Sir Arthur Currie Public School, London (Architect/Designer: Cornerstone Architecture Incorporated; Developer/Owner: Thames Valley District School Board; General Contractor: K & L Construction)
- Institutional Education Post-Secondary – Amit Chakma Engineering Building, Western University, London (Architect/Designer: Perkins & Will in association with Cornerstone Architecture Inc.; Developer/Owner: Western University; General Contractor: Norlon Builders)
- Institutional Repurpose – Fanshawe College, School of Tourism, Hospitality and Culinary Arts, London (Architect/Designer: Diamond Schmitt Architects Inc.; Developer/Owner: Fanshawe College; General Contractor: EllisDon Corporation)
- Institutional Healthcare – St. Thomas Elgin General Hospital, North Building, St. Thomas (Architect/Designer: Montgomery-Sisam and Kahler-Slater; Developer/Owner: St. Thomas Elgin General Hospital; General Contractor: EllisDon Corporation)
- Institutional Renovation – Museum London, Centre at the Forks, London (Architect/Designer: Nicholson Sheffield Architects Inc.; Developer/Owner: Museum London; General Contractor: Aveiro Constructors Limited)
- Commercial New – Domus Developments Office Building, London (Architect/Designer: Agar Architect; Developer/Owner: Domus Developments; General Contractor: Domus Developments)
- Commercial Recreational – Boler Mountain Chalet, London (Architect/Designer: architects Tillman Ruth Robinson Inc.; Developer/Owner: Boler Mountain; General Contractor: Agri-Urban Buildings Inc.)
- Commercial Renovation – Info-Tech Research Group, London (Architect/Designer: Nicholson Sheffield Architects; Developer/Owner: Info-Tech Research Group; General Contractor: Trigon Construction Ltd.)
- Commercial Green – 1305 Riverbend Road, London (Architect/Designer: architects Tillman Ruth Robinson Inc.; Developer/Owner: Sifton Properties Limited; General Contractor: D. Grant Construction Limited)
- Multi-Family Green – West 5 Townhomes, London (Architect/Designer: Turner Fleischer Architects; Developer/Owner: Sifton Properties Limited)
- Multi-Family – Azure, London (Architect/Designer: Hanna, Ghobrial & Associates Ltd.; Developer/Owner: The Tricar Group; General Contractor: The Tricar Group)
- Industrial – Dancor Phase III, London (Architect/Designer: Architectural Design Co. Inc.; Developer/Owner: Dancor Green Valley Inc.; General Contractor: Dancor Green Valley Inc.)
- Legacy Award Public Institution – Western University, University College Renovations, London (Architect: architect Tillmann Ruth Robinson Inc.; Developer/Owner: Western University; General Contractor: Tonda Construction Limited)
The London and St. Thomas Association of REALTORS® (LSTAR) exists to provide our REALTOR® Members with the support and tools they need to succeed in their profession. LSTAR is one of Canada’s 10 largest real estate associations, representing over 1,900 REALTORS® working in Middlesex and Elgin Counties, a trading area of 500,000 residents. LSTAR adheres to a Quality of Life philosophy, supporting growth that fosters economic vitality, provides housing opportunities, respects the environment and builds good communities and safe neighbourhoods and is a proud participant in the REALTORS Care Foundation's Every REALTOR™ Campaign.
Read the original News Release. Click on the image below to see some of the pictures taken at the event.