LSTAR Celebrates Excellence in Commercial Real Estate with the Don Smith Commercial Building Awards
The London and St. Thomas Association of REALTORS® (LSTAR) is thrilled to announce the recipients of the 2017 Don Smith Commercial Building Awards. Recipients were honoured on April 23, 2018, at the London Convention Centre.
The biannual reception and awards ceremony recognize the top commercial, industrial, multi-family and community buildings across the LSTAR region. The program was named after the late Don Smith, legendary co-founder of EllisDon, a world-renowned construction company with deep roots in London, Ontario.
"The awards were established in 2009 to inspire the architectural and construction community to honour commercial building excellence across the region," said John Geha, LSTAR. "This is a tremendous opportunity to recognize the outstanding talent, innovation and design by the developer, construction and architectural businesses who create these amazing buildings across the region," he added.
Categories include Commercial (retail and office), Industrial, Multi-family and Institutional (community). A judging panel evaluates the projects, with the following criteria:
- Building, development or renovation located within LSTAR’s jurisdiction
- Design and innovation
- Addresses a specific developmental need within the community
- Sensitive to the environment
- Completed between August 1, 2015 and July 31, 2017
The 2017 winners are:
- Multi-Family – Villas of Wortley (Architect: The TRICAR Group; Developer/Owner: The TRICAR Group; General Contractor: The TRICAR Group)
- Industrial New – Sodecia Global Technology and Innovation Centre (Architect: Endri Poletti Architect Inc.; Developer/Owner: Sodecia GTAC; General Contractor: Prime Design Build)
- Industrial Renovation – Elemex Architectural Façade Systems (Architect: James Macdonald Architects; Developer/Owner: ALM Building Limited; General Contractor: ALM Building Limited)
- Commercial Green – West Five – The Sifton Centre (Architect: Diamond Schmitt Architects; Developer/Owner: Sifton Properties Limited; General Contractor: D. Grant Construction Limited)
- Commercial New – GoodLife Home Office (Architect: Petroff Partnership Architects; Developer/Owner: ESAM Construction Limited; General Contractor: McKay-Cocker Construction)
- Commercial Retail Renovation – Masonville Place Renovations (Architect: Petroff Partnership Architects; Developer/Owner: Cadillac Fairview Corporation; General Contractor: EllisDon Corporation)
- Commercial Repurpose – The Cube – Talbot Street (Architect: zed Architecture; Developer/Owner: York Developments; General Contractor: York Developments)
- Institutional Education – St. John Catholic Elementary French Immersion (Cornerstone Architecture Incorporated; Developer/Owner: London District Catholic School Board; General Contractor: Norlon Builders London Limited)
- Institutional Education Post-Secondary – FIMS and Nursing Building, Western University (Architect: Tillmann Ruth Robinson Inc.; Developer/Owner: Western University; General Contractor: Norlon Builders London Limited)
- Community Institutional – Violence Against Women, Services Elgin County (Architect: Cornerstone Architecture Incorporated; Developer/Owner: Violence Against Women, Services Elgin County; General Contractor: Bronnenco Construction Ltd.)
This year the program featured a new award, the Legacy Award, which recognizes any building that is unique and/or significant to the London and St. Thomas jurisdiction. The Legacy Award winners are:
- Public Sector – The Elgin County Courthouse (Owner: The Ministry of the Attorney General)
- Private Sector – The London Life Building (Owner: The London Life Insurance Company)
The 2017 Don Smith Commercial Building Awards were made possible through LSTAR's sponsorship partners, who included: Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC), CBRE Limited, CIBC, Colliers International, County of Elgin, Dancor Construction, EllisDon Corporation, Fanshawe College, Lennar Corporation, Lexus of London, Libro Credit Union, London Hydro, London Life, MMSI, Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC), Ontario Real Estate Association (OREA), Pillar to Post, RBC Royal Bank, Royal LePage Triland Realty, Supra, TD Canada Trust, Teranet, Tricar Group and Zillow.
About LSTAR Regional Commercial Council
The Regional Commercial Council (RCC) of the London and St. Thomas Association of REALTORS® is committed to assisting its Members to succeed in commercial real estate. The Council came into effect on March 24, 2004.
The Council's mandate is to:
- Represent the interests of its membership;
- Contribute to the Council Members' professional development and expertise;
- Develop recommendations on matters of public policy of a commercial nature and forward to appropriate authorities; and
- Foster co-operation in the exchange of information among Council Members.
In pursuing its mandate, the Council recognizes that the Board of Directors has the primary responsibility and authority to manage LSTAR's affairs and agrees to conduct its activities in such a way as to avoid conflict or duplication.